Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Restart!

I predicted in the first post that my New Year's Resolution of 2008 of keeping up a blog would last about a week, and although it lasted slightly longer than that, the blog met its downfall shortly after it started.

BUT.

I am now a second-semester senior, and have very little to occupy my time. I mean, besides the 3 upper level seminars, the independent study, debate, and job search/application process, I really don't have anything to do.

So I thought I would open up another option of procrastination. One that isn't re-listening to the David Cross open letter to Larry the Cable Guy, although you totally should. It does lose some of its attraction after listen number 8 or so, but the wit is brilliant and the logic airtight.

I plan on writing a quick summary of each day, mostly for my own convenience, to keep records etc., but also because it gives me impetus to log on and write every day. I may also possibly post recipes. Or ingredient lists that I use during the week. If you're curious, this week is cereal, Rhody Fresh milk, roma tomatoes, avocados, roasted yellow tomatoes, capers, olives, tomato sauce, olive oil, home made tomato sauce, pasta, feta, humane/free range/organic turkey bacon, baby romaine, a homemade mustard and shallot vinaigrette, carrots, broccoli, tofu, poblano peppers, jalapeno peppers, rice, homemade stir-fry sauce, and free range eggs. And, wait for it, IT'S BLOOD ORANGE SEASON! My favorite food. Seriously. Blood oranges and dark chocolate. And cheese, obviously. Currently liking the Colsten-Bassett Stilton and Kunik (triple creme goat cheese.) You can get them at Farmstead. They also now carry Mast Brothers Fleur de Sel 72% chocolate. I'd recommend it, but the cocoa is quite fruity if you don't like that sort of thing. So yeah, those are my favorite foods.

So, yes, I am the kind of person who eats mostly produce and doesn't understand / cannot do the Kraft, PB&J, Ramen, Cereal route. My one exception is that I do get a Blue State small mocha every day, so that is food that is neither grain nor produce. I'm not sure if my diet (and no, not in the inaccurate weight loss diet term that people use) makes me elitist or just someone who prioritizes food and health. I'm also a gym girl, largely because it's my TV watching time. I just don't feel bad watching an hour of Law and Order if I'm on an elliptical. And I am currently doing an independent study through the Tufts school of nutrition, so I'm interested in "that health sort of thing" whatever that means.

Most recent piece of advice to solve fatigue and up your energy/focus: get your Vitamin D level checked. If it's low (which it probably is since it's March and above the Mason Dixon line) take 2,000 IU a day. And make sure to take your B12 supplements if you don't eat lots of red meat!

I'm honestly not a holistic nut when it comes to exercise and nutrition--go by established evidence from methodologically sound studies. Society would be better if it followed that rule. And no, I do not like granola or quinoa or soy pudding.

Le sigh; time to do the reading I've been procrastinating doing for, oh, 5 hours or so at this point. But I've done productive things, like...well, maybe not.

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment